Saturday, November 28, 2009

My thanksgiving grades

I contributed a few dishes to our thanksgiving meal with Alfred's family, and have had a couple of days now to reflect on my performance. Let's see how I did!

Baked brie: this is pretty hard to mess up. It could have used a bit more jam, but other than that, it was good. Grade: A-

Cranberry sauce: I almost forgot to add the sugar, which would have been disastrous, but managed to pull it together in time. Unfortunately, no one under the age of 28 liked it, although the grown ups all did. Grade: A-

Dressing: Alfred volunteered me to make this the night before, so I called my mom for the recipe she uses and got from her mother. It was pretty good for a first effort, but now that I've made it once I'm sure I can improve on it in the future. Needed more seasoning. Grade: B

Ice cream: another last minute addition. We somehow had a lot of extra egg yolks to use up, so we decided on vanilla ice cream. It was really delicious, nice and creamy, but it's pretty hard to screw up ice cream. Grade: A

Pumpkin pie: I was going to use a recipe from the food network with fresh pumpkin and pecan streusel. Unfortunately we couldn't find fresh pumpkin, and Max isn't crazy about nuts in desserts, so in the end I just went with a standard pumpkin filling. It was good, nothing spectacular. Excellent crust though, maybe my best effort (another family recipe). Grade: B+

Peanut butter pie: this was supposed to be a chocolate crust, peanut butter custard filling, and meringue topping. The crust and meringue were fine, but the filling didn't thicken up right. It tasted ok, but looked awful. It was basically peanut butter soup in a chocolate shell with a meringue island floating in the center. Bad news. Grade: C-

Overall grade: B- Better luck next time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're selling yourself short, your average must be higher! Will you share your pie crust recipe?

Katie H. said...

What's your crust recipe? That is always my downfall.