Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Harvest

When I got home from work today I went out and picked a whole bunch of pole beans. I did have to use a ladder (the poles they're climbing on are a solid 8 feet tall, and those little bean plants just shot right on up there once we put them in), and I did get 14 mosquito bites in the process (yes, I counted), but I got them! I roasted them for dinner with a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, and they were really good.

It's so fun making actual meals and side dishes with stuff from the garden. So far we've used at least 2 dozen tomatoes, an eggplant, these beans, and the 2 jalapenos in the picture are going into chili this week. I've got a bunch more tomatoes ripening soon, the herbs are doing well, I think I have an actual ear of corn forming, and I counted 3 tiny butternut squash today. The only thing that's really not doing well is the zucchini. The stems are splitting and no zucchini have appeared yet. And of course that's what's supposed to be so easy to grow and so fruitful. Figures that's what I have trouble with.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Nice harvest; I've got a bunch of green tomatoes.

Mike said...

I think you should have mom visit for a week so you guys can garden together, share recipes and all that fun stuff. She can't seem to get her tomatoes to ripen. I insist

Carolyn said...

Mike, you forget that in the great white north tomatoes don't ripen until August. I'm excited that I have so many green ones already! I may be picking in a few weeks; that's early for me.