Wednesday, September 29, 2010

house update

So, the house. It's going well, we've made quite a bit of progress since last weekend. If all keeps going according to plan we'll be done and ready to move in in about 3 weeks. Here's our updated to-do list:

repair roof - done
pressure wash house - done
scrape popcorn texture off ceilings - done
spray new texture on ceilings and paint them - done
install new AC - done
remove old carpets - done
install new lights in living room and kitchen - done
drywall repairs - done
paint walls
install new carpet
install new wood floors
install new toilets
install new kitchen sink
repair banister

That's it! Unfortunately everything we have left to do is pretty cosmetic, so the house looks like a total disaster right now. We start painting walls tomorrow though, and lots of painting and flooring will go on this weekend. It's going to make a huge difference. We're ordered all the flooring, and I've picked out all the paint colors, I think; I probably have about 1/3 of all the paint color chips that Behr makes. We were at the house the other day and Alfred suggested a color for a room, and I whipped out the suggested color from my purse, right on cue. Don't worry, we'll go on a virtual tour once it's done.

The really fun thing I got to do this weekend was walk around in drywall stilts! The drywall guy left them behind when he left on Saturday, and I was all over those like white on rice. It took a few minutes to get used to walking in them, but I got pretty good at it. I used them for a couple of hours that afternoon, and then again for an hour or so on Sunday. Literally the second the drywall guy left on Sunday I had those puppies on. Seriously, they're great fun. I felt like a cross between Forrest Gump and the Terminator. If anyone needs a gift idea for me for my birthday or Christmas, keep these in mind. Either that or a massage. Which I could actually use right now, my back and shoulders are awfully sore from all this work on the house.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There better be enough stuff to keep me occupied for when I'm down there. And it better not be makign costumes the whole time.

Mom said...

I think I see the paint chip for our spare bedroom that I painted last month; Cream Blush. Kudos on all the hard work so far and I'm impressed that you can walk in those stilts. A dry wall guy told me that those are not allowed by some states; I guess some worker in I think Texas lost his balance and ended up falling off a balcony. Stupid guy.