Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Good thing babies don't hold grudges

It's been a blood bath around here lately. Ok, blood bath may be a bit strong, but I have managed to make our child bleed twice in the past week. A few days ago I noticed a dark speck at the corner of Tabby's eye. In her bath that evening I wiped and wiped at it with the washcloth. Turns out it was a tiny scratch, which I rescratched with my rubbing, thus making blood run out and almost into her eye. Then yesterday I was cutting her nails and accidentally cut one of her fingers instead when she moved. Apparently that one hurt, she started screaming right away. She was smiling and playing on her changing table again within about 5 minutes, so no permanent damage there. Her onesie might not be so lucky though, there are little specks of blood all over it.

Just for the record, I'm not the only one around here making babies bleed. Tabitha has discovered how to get her right hand up to her mouth to suck on it. Unfortunately, she misses quite a bit, and will end up poking herself in the eye or rubbing her nose instead. And when she does get her hand to her mouth, she often ends up sucking on her wrist with her fingers in her eye/nose. So she's now started scratching herself in the face and occasionally drawing blood, hence the nail clipping attempt. Too bad I only got 2 of her nails cut yesterday. She might be channeling Michael Jackson and rocking one mitten for a few days.

In other news, happy first birthday to Louisa, Tabitha's future Cornell classmate! I can't believe she's 1 already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Tabby will never remember the nail cutting incident although you will never forget it. You don't remember me doing it to you when you were 9 months old, do you? :) And I love the bib, somehow I knew you would get back to blogging once you had new subject matter. Oh those cheeks on her, that's one very contented baby! Mom

Katie H. said...

Hey thanks! I just noticed this birthday message today. Louisa says thank you!