Wednesday, February 11, 2009

the facebook issue

I actually meant to write about this a couple of weeks ago, since people have been asking me "are you on facebook" and "why aren't you on facebook" and "when are you going to join facebook" for a long time. I was perfectly happy not being on facebook, and had intended to remain that way. Until the treachery of certain people this weekend.

I think the main reason I wasn't too interested in facebook was because of myspace. I had a myspace page, as you all know, although I was late to that party, too. I enjoyed it, once I got around to joining. The finding-people-I-haven't-seen-in-10-years thing was really fun. I also liked stalking people, which you can't really do on facebook. You have to be friends with someone to see their page, which totally defeats the purpose of stalking. And it was fun to be able to change my background, add different graphics and polls to my page, stuff like that. Can't do that on facebook, either. The one thing I do like better about facebook is the whole tagging-photos thing.

As much as I liked myspace, I eventually got tired of it. I haven't signed on in months. And no one's on there anymore anyway, they've all migrated to facebook. But I think the real reason is that I have my blog now. There's no stalking capabilities, but it's my little area. I can change how it looks (speaking of which, I'm thinking I could use a new look here. Thoughts?), talk about what I want, put up pictures, lots of fun stuff. So really, I had no use for facebook. I guess it's fun so far, but we'll see how long it lasts.

No comments: