Thursday, January 7, 2010

movie reviews

For some reason (probably the new TV) we've been watching a bunch of movies lately. So here are my oh-so-fascinating thoughts on some recent ones, beginning with:

1. Avatar. I liked it, although I agree with Katherine that the story was less than enthralling. It was so fun to look at though that I seriously could have just watched the blue things running around their forest for 2 hours. Like, they could have just made it as a documentary and I may have liked that better. I feel like James Cameron made up this whole unique world and we only got to see a fraction of what he must have imagined. I like imaginary things, so I would have liked seeing more of that. Plus, 2 hours would have made it shorter. It was a bit long. Alfred thought the length and storyline were both fine, for those who did not see his comment. Also, it's fun hissing at people like the blue things do. I think I'd like to be a blue thing.

2. The Invention of Lying. This has Ricky Gervais, who I love, and Jennifer Garner, who I don't feel very strongly either way about. It was a decent movie, amusing, interesting idea, but 3 days after we watched it neither of us could remember a thing about it. We had to look it up on the computer to see what we had watched. So, probably doesn't speak very highly of it.

3. Surrogates. The one with Bruce Willis where all people have robots to go out and live their lives for them. This one wasn't very good. The main thing that pissed me off was that apparently these robots basically made crime obsolete, which I totally don't get. If I had a robot to go out and live for me, I'd be knocking over 7-11s and busting caps in people's asses all day long. After all, I'd be robbing and shooting robots, so no harm no foul, right?

4. 500 Days of Summer. Felt very indie-movie-ish, has Zoey Deschanel (is this how you spell it? can't be bothered to look it up) and Joseph Gordon Levitt. I liked this, Alfred did not. He thought it was going to be a comedy. It was not, really. It was very nice though, if you're into this sort of movie. I think Zoey Deschanel should try playing a totally different character some day.

5. Henry Poole is Here. Supposedly a dark comedy, though I didn't see much comedy in it. I guess it had a couple of moments. Stars Luke Wilson, who has evidently since become pretty hard up to be starring in those cell phone commercials. I liked this one too, again Alfred did not. It made me cry a bunch. In my defense, I was pretty over tired that night. And it has some really sad parts, dammit! Fun fact, the female lead in this was also in Surrogates. I forget her name. Radha Mitchell I think? Dang, I'm good. If I'm right. Whatever.

Another fun fact: Alfred's been busy emptying the dishwasher and making dinner while I've sat here typing this extremely captivating post. To be fair, I was at work all day and he was at home, so he offered. He just discovered we have no cheese to add to our egg scramble dinner. The horrors!

1 comment:

Mike said...

You could have someone give you a piggy back ride halfway to the grocery store then make you walk around in the store in your socks. That would solve that little problem