Monday, January 25, 2010

so not dog people

I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that we house- and dog-sat for my co worker this weekend. Dogs are kind of a pain in the ass. This one is, anyway. He needs to be walked all the time and he poops all over the place as he walks. Like, he just squats in the middle of the road, then takes a few steps and goes some more, than walks 10 more feet and goes some more. It's unnecessarily gross. It makes me not want a dog.

Luckily, there are 2 new dogs around that are much cuter, and that we don't have to take care of (ie pick up after). One I mentioned here a couple of months ago, Alfred's parents' new dog, whose name is now Turk (I think they were still deciding on a name last time I mentioned him). He's getting big, but is still cute. He likes to climb in your lap when you sit on the floor. Well, he did last time I saw him, which was like 3 weeks ago, so who knows by now.

The other new dog is Ilya and Mercedes' puppy, Mister. He's a Shih Tzu, and is so, co cute. Partially because he's so tiny, but also just because he's adorable. He gets so excited when anyone pays attention to him. You can just pick him up and he just loves you. You can probably drop kick him pretty far too, not that I've tried, of course.

Actually, the biggest problem I have with dogs is not all the work, but the smells. I hate, and I mean hate, the smell of pet food. And dogs tend to smell. Maybe if you bathe them like all the damn time they're ok, but generally they start to smell. And that grosses me out. It's a good thing Alfred has no great desire to get a dog, either. We'll probably end up with one at some point of our lives, but I'm perfectly happy without one of our own for now.

2 comments:

Katie H. said...

I was really into the dog idea for a while, but now I am cooling to it. I think the inability to travel with a dog is what has gotten me. I love dogs in theory, but I agree about not wanting one now, especially not one I would have to walk that much. That poop thing is gross.

Anonymous said...

Just think you could get a really cute puppy then like 15 years later he can waddle around with a growth on his lip about half alive like Copper.
-mike