Sunday, January 24, 2010

unexpected hiatus

And suddenly, it's been a week since my last post. Not the best week of my life, though I suppose it could have been worse. Monday I had to work late, and then of course there was an issue with the register so I didn't get home until 10:00. Alfred made me a grilled cheese sandwich and chocolate milk for dinner though, so that was nice. He made me his famous homemade Caesar salad dressing for dinner on Tuesday, which was also very nice, and extremely delicious. We made the croutons with different bread though, and they weren't quite as good as usual. Ah well, live and learn.

Thursday we had some really nasty weather while I was at work. More specifically, we had severe thunderstorms and tornado warning sirens while we had 150+ kids in various parts of the museum. It was a little stressful. We got everyone into the most secure building (about 75 in one section and maybe 90 in another) and locked all the doors and all just hung out for about half an hour until the worst of it passed. Apparently one of the tour guides that was there with one of the groups saw a cloud drop down and start to spin about a block north of us. Luckily it lifted back up before it turned into a tornado. It's times like those that being in charge is kind of scary.

Friday was sunny and gorgeous, until about 1:45. At that point the temperature dropped about 15-20 degrees and thick fog rolled in. Not dangerous, just cold and kind of crappy. Just as I was about to go eat my lunch outside and enjoy the sunshine, too.

Oh, and we did get some good news this week: a signed lease and deposit from the people renting our house! So it's official, we'll be moving by March 1. I'll write about and try to post some pictures of the new house soon.

A note about the picture: it's from White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. We were watching the movie Year One this week; there's a scene where they're in the desert, and at the end of the scene the camera pulls back and you can see mountains in the background. I said it looked just like White Sands. So we watched the credits at the end, and what do you know, filmed partially in New Mexico. It was kind of exciting.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good news about renting your house; at least one piece of good news last week. Alfred, do I need to come and wash windows?

Alfred said...

Well, the windows at our old house haven't been washed since you washed them last time, so probably!

Katie H. said...

Hooray for renting your house and becoming a lady of leisure!