Thursday, August 28, 2008

clear the bridge, dive, dive

Katie and I went today to finish her dive certification. We went to the same place that Alfred and I have gone diving before, in a state park. There's this big crack in the ground that goes down over 100 feet, but there's a sign at about 50 feet that says "prevent your own death, don't go any further unless cave certified." Then you can drift along the little river to get back to the parking lot. Unfortunately today there were manatee in the river part so it was closed off. Katie had to carry all her gear both ways. It probably sucked. I've done it before and it sucked then, so I say that with confidence.

It was too damn cold to go swimming along with her, so I stayed out of the water and tried to entertain myself. I found some turkeys.

Then I was walking along the boardwalk, enjoying the scenery, when I heard her dive instructor's voice. I used my detective skills and found them in the water.

Then I played paparazzi and took lots of stalker-ish pictures. They had no idea I was there. At one point they were swimming across and suddenly both came up and I had to duck behind the railing so they wouldn't see me. I'm smooth as silk, baby.


The arrow's pointing to Katie's tank. The white tank next to her is her instructor.

She passed! Now when she comes back for Christmas, she can come diving with us and Mike, and Tony if he comes too. We had a celebratory steak dinner with celebratory cupcakes. It was very celebration-ey. She goes back home tomorrow, and we go back to our old ways. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, you missed your calling; you should be writing. You've been good at it since the 4th grade. Those pictures are great, I can imagine you skulking in the trees to get those shots. Hmmm, I guess that use of imagery makes you a good writer, where have I heard that before? The thumbs up shot is going to be my new desktop.