Monday, August 18, 2008

hurricane's a-comin!

First, we did get the truck out of the fountain. The limestone got scratched, but the truck was fine. It could have been much worse.

So we've been under a tropical storm warning since this afternoon. The governor declared a state of emergency on Saturday, and the northeast FL red cross is preparing supplies and getting shelters ready. I feel like this is all being blown (ha!) out of proportion a bit. I mean, I can see the Keys being worried, since they're islands and all, and I guess the west coast could be concerned, but really. It's only supposed to be a category 1 when it hits, which isn't all that bad. And as my buddy Jim Cantore has taught me over my years of watching the Weather Channel, it will weaken as it goes over land, so by the time it gets to us it won't even be a hurricane anymore. Like one of my coworkers said today, it'll be like our typical afternoon thunderstorm, only all day long.

Of course, for my first hurricane I totally bought into the hype. I think my first was hurricane Charley though, which hit as (I think) a category 5. Worthy of my attention. I stocked up on bottled water and canned food. We still have about 2/3 of the food I bought, 4 years later. Oops. We did lose power for two of the other storms that summer, and between that summer and the following summer I got lots of hurricane practice. Here's an action-packed video of hurricane Frances.



Not as exciting as when the weather channel shows it. And for some reason when I try to put the slideshow in this post it messes everything up. I need to find a new photo hosting site to use for slideshows. Anyway, below this is a bunch of hurricane pictures. I love this stuff!

No comments: