Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I found a dog

Today, just as I was coming out of the new museum with a couple of teachers that I was showing around, this dog came out of nowhere and started trotting around with us. She was white with some tan spots, and had a pink flowered collar, which made me guess that she was a she. She was cute, and not all jumpy and annoying, which was good. She sort of wandered around, sniffing things and going up to people, and I forgot about her, since there are a few people that walk their dogs without leashes around the museum. Well, a few minutes later she wandered into the store. There's a big hole in the screen in the bottom of the store door, so she just walked right on in. Kara (the new girl) started freaking out a bit, because she's sort of afraid of dogs, and started trying to shoo the dog out. I went outside and filled a little bucket with some water, then took it outside to the dog. By then the stupid thing was standing smack dab in the middle of the street, watching the cars drive around and try to avoid hitting her. So I went and grabbed her collar and pulled her out of the street and over to the water, which she seemed to appreciate. I found a tag on her collar with a phone number to a pet tracking service, wrote it and what I assumed was her ID number down, and went into the store to call. While I was on the phone the dog took off again, so I had Kara get on the phone and I went after the dog, who by now had found the group who was eating lunch at our picnic tables. I grabbed her collar again and brought her into the museum, then had the genius idea to tie a piece of twine around her collar so I had a leash for her.

So, I had a dog. I named her Jingles. We walked around the museum a bit, took some trash out to the dumpster, sniffed some stuff. After the group left we sat at the picnic tables, had some water, watched the world go by. Just chillin. Then I got kind of bored, Jingles was just lying on the ground and not playing with me anymore, so I closed her into the picnic area and went outside. Of course, right then her owner showed up, so I took her out to the dog, whose name turned out to be Sassy. I liked Jingles better personally, but whatever. Then her owner told me that this was the third time TODAY that the dog had escaped! I mean ok, it happens, but 3 times by 12:30 in the afternoon? How the hell does she get anything done at work if she's always having to go pick up her damn dog? Plus the lady at the pet tracking place said the dog had been reported found last night. Seems kind of irresponsible, if you ask me, but nobody did, so never mind. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tracy the heroine! You really, really need to look into writing & publishing children's books!