Wednesday, April 2, 2008

dinner last night, and my link to terrorism

We got home late last night, after 8, and were unfortunately confronted with the mess we had left from Sunday (we spent the night at my in laws Monday night, which we do once a week to save on gas). Literally all I did last night was wash and put away dishes and eat dinner. But what a dinner it was! We had salmon with strawberry-mango salsa (made from our fresh organic strawberries, of course) with roasted asparagus. Healthy, fast, and yummy! We used to have this meal pretty regularly but I got kind of sick of it. It was really good last night though, I think the fresh salsa made the difference.


And now for the terrorism angle. I spent the summer after my junior year of college in DC with Alfred, he had graduated that year and was looking for a job there. I had been in Sweden the previous semester and hadn't bothered looking for a summer job. Luckily, while working at reunion weekend, I mentioned to one of the alumni whose address was in DC that I would be there for the summer and didn't have a job. Lo and behold, he worked at a law firm there and got me an interview. I ended up getting a job replacing a woman in HR who was out for maternity leave. It turns out that the guy from the reunion was Jamie Baker, aka James Baker IV, the son of James Baker III, aka the Secretary of State for the first George Bush. I did see Secretary Baker once (I was nowhere near important enough to actually meet him, I literally saw him through an open door), he was actually in the office for a couple days out of the eight or so weeks I worked there. Busy guy, apparently. It was a very cool place to work, the building was a block off the mall and had an open roof area with an amazing view.

Anyway, on NPR last night we were listening to an author who had written a book about bin Laden and his family. They invested money in American companies, blah blah, oh and who was the law firm that represented them in the US? Yup, the one I worked for. So I worked for the company who represented bin Laden's family (but not him) less than a year after 9/11. No, that doesn't really make me connected to terrorism in the slightest, but it's pretty neat anyway, I thought. Hell, I was just excited to hear the law firm's name on NPR! I worked somewhere (relatively) famous!

No comments: