Thursday, April 3, 2008

new house

I know I've mentioned it briefly to some of you, but we have a meeting about it today so I figure I'll write about it. Several years ago, my in laws bought a chunk of land, sold off pieces of it to a builder, and built their own house on part of it. They still own several acres (I don't know exactly how much) but most of it is swamp, and hard to get to. There is one little piece that they have an easement to get to, but again, it's mostly swamp and not right on a road. Well several months ago Max or Alfred or someone decided to try to separate that piece and make it its own lot so that it could be sold and built on. Then that changed into us building on it. So that's what we're attempting to do. It's going to be a bit of a process, because before we can do anything we have to get permission to even build there. It's been legally separated from the rest of their property, and we had to apply to 2 different agencies to get a permit to build. The county has 30 days before they have to make a decision, so we're still waiting to hear from them. We heard from the Army Corp of Engineers (I think that's who it is, anyway) pretty quickly, and they said no in about 5 different ways. Apparently they think it's just a developer trying to wring every last cent out of the property. We have a meeting set with them next week to convince them that we're real people and will actually be living there. So we have a meeting this afternoon with the company who's helping us file all these applications to discuss the meeting next week. Should be fun. Hopefully it all goes well, because this whole hour commute thing sucks.

In other news, I ate a huge piece of cake and then had a piece of pie last night. Since then I've had an old Nickelodeon commercial for the Yogi Bear cartoon stuck in my head. It goes "Cakes, pies, cakes, pies, chicken thighs!" Then there's some music, and then "weekdays on Nick!" It's driving me crazy. I found this picture on a website for a Jellystone campground in Niagara Falls. I think we went camping there once. I think I talked to Boo Boo on the phone. I wonder if that actually happened.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are supposed to build on the property in the Keys not further north!

T & A said...

That would be a really, really long commute. I fall asleep in the car on the way to work as it is.

The Last Inch said...

Literally every time I hear havah nagila I think of that song!