Thursday, September 11, 2008

I've made a huge mistake

I miss Gob. Also, blogger is pissing me off. I've tried posting this like 4 times and the spacing keeps getting messed up. If it's still messed up this time I'm just leaving it. So that explains any potential weird gaps.

My huge mistake was trying my new coffee liquor with milk, since I finished all of the fat free half and half last night. Yup, delicious. I think I'm going to become an alcoholic.

And now, the return of the baking blog! I haven't baked anything in awhile, my mixer was lonely. I made some of my famous cookies, and of course Alfred's tiramisu. As I mentioned last night, I made the lady fingers from scratch:


I got the genius idea from someone on the allrecipes website to do them like this. I traced the outline of the pan I was using onto the parchment paper, then filled in the circles with the batter and baked them. That way they fit right into the pan and I didn't have to deal with cutting and fitting the little cookies together. Genius, I tell you. Tonight I made the custard filling and had to give up some of my precious coffee liquor, and put it all together.

I'm now an expert in separating eggs. I've separated a total of 15 eggs since last night, and only messed up 1. Yeah, this bitch has 14 eggs in it. Leave it to Alfred to pick a protein-rich, carb-light dessert (he's cutting back on carbs to lose more weight, which has meant I've cut back on carbs a bit too. It totally works. Which sucks. I love carbs.)

I also remembered the story I was going to tell yesterday about going to buy my booze. The guy rang it up and told me the price, but didn't ask for my ID. He didn't ask for it until I gave him my credit card to pay. I asked if he was carding me for my credit card or age, and he said both. But then he said "I'm not stupid, I know how to answer a question like that." So, did I really not get carded? And why does it bother me? I seem to have passed into the next stage of my life. For a long time, I wanted to look older, or at least my age. I actively disliked looking younger. I mean, it wasn't very flattering to be mistaken for Katie when I was 20 and she was 12 (it totally happened, at Tony's wedding.) Then I got to the age where I didn't mind either way. I was happy if someone guessed my age, but just as happy if someone told me I looked younger. Now, it seems I want to look younger. Apparently I'm getting old. Dammit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you call that cake carb light than tickle me embers or perhaps punch me and leave me for dead = not carb light but I forgot the expression!

Anonymous said...

Ha!! I am at that stage of my life too, although I'm not too bothered about looking younger. I'm on the brink of 28, and I guess I don't mind if people think I look like it. I probably will care once I hit 30 though.

That cake looks delicious by the way.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I miss GOB too (and his $600 banana suit -- Come on!).

Anonymous said...

that cake WAS delicious, btw! (gone in 2 sittings)