Tuesday, October 14, 2008

happy birthday Max and Egee, and Mike's weekend, part 2: drinking

Today is Max's birthday, he's a whopping 60 years old today. I told Alfred yesterday that 60 is a good age to become a grandfather. It's also Egee's birthday - that's Alfred's grandmother, Max's mother. Yes, he was born on his mother's birthday. He was the fourth of her 4 children, and her only son. She says he was the best birthday present she ever got. I'd put a picture of her up, but to be perfectly honest, I'm writing this on Monday night to post automatically on Tuesday night, so I don't have a picture of her on the laptop. Dammit, now I've blown my cover. I'm several minutes deeper into the power hour mentioned in yesterday's post. Bear with me, please.

So, drinking. We've done quite a bit of it. Friday night we went out and some of us drank, unfortunately some of us had to work on Saturday so we had to go easy. We had a gift certificate that required that we spend $100. We ordered mozzarella sticks, chili cheese fries, 10 mini burgers, 48 wings, a piece of cake, and 2 pieces of pie. And a couple of pitchers of beer, of course. On Saturday I had to work, so Alfred and Mike spent the day at our local haunt, drinking and watching college football. They were there for 9 hours straight. They went through 3 different waiters/waitresses. And made friends with some lawyer who I think Alfred has a crush on.

Surprisingly, it was Sunday night before we did our first power hour. Mike brought his power hour CD, which has 60 songs that play for a minute apiece, so I was off the hook for timing. I have a sneaking suspicion that the CD wasn't 60 perfectly timed 1 minute songs, but hey, it worked. Since we're house sitting and don't have our full range of drinking paraphenalia, I used a little measuring cup instead of a shot glass. I got a bit artsy-fartsy with the camera.

Mike and I did some dancing.


I then woke up after about 6 1/2 hours of sleep and worked for 8 1/2 hours. Cause I'm the man. It was probably the best power hour of my career. Seriously, I didn't even feel a thing until about 30 minutes in. It helped that we had eaten roughly 75 pounds worth of junk food earlier that day for Max's birthday party, my stomach didn't get that sloshy feeling it usually gets with a power hour. We were also able to bottle the beer that Mike made with the Mr. Beer kit that we bought him last Christmas.

And now that I've already blown my cover about writing this post in advance, I would like to announce that we are 50 minutes in to tonight's power hour, and not only am I doing well, but I'm still able to type coherent sentences. Well, I assume these are coherent. I'll have to check back tomorrow. However, we just realized that while we are 50 minutes in, we have only gone through 36 ounces apiece. Something's not quite right. I guess that's why I've been doing so well tonight and last night. Damn.

No comments: