Tuesday, January 27, 2009

busy, busy

We've got a nice full social calendar for the next few weekends. This weekend we have Ilya's birthday, and possibly plans with Lucy and Phil; the following weekend Katherine and Katie are coming to visit us (I looked through lots of pictures, none of just the three of us, so we get to see 5 lovely ladies instead); the weekend after that, Mike is coming to visit (he's bringing wine, the three of us are going to have a romantic Valentine's Day dinner.) Oh, and last weekend I went to Lucy's baby shower. It's been all sorts of awesome.

I've realized over the past couple of days that I'm not so lonely this year. Last year I was really trying to think of ways to make friends. I started going to a book club (which has more or less stopped), I tried a dance class (which didn't last beyond the first class). I think a lot of it was my job. At my old job, I was related to most of my co workers, plus Alfred has to be my friend whether he works with me or not. It's part of his job description. Now that I'm back at the museum, I have lots more co workers, who I (mostly) like, plus lots more people that I come into contact with either in person or on the phone. I've known a lot of these people for years, so while they might not be the type of friend I'm going to hang out with outside of work (although there are some of those, luckily) I at least have enough social interaction on a regular basis that I don't feel isolated. It's nice. I do still wish I had more close friends down here, but this is better than nothing.

No comments: