Tuesday, January 20, 2009

so exciting

We have a new president! Duh, I know, but still. All you hear about is how historic today is, but it really is pretty cool. I actually had no idea what time the inauguration itself was, I knew it was some time after 10:30 (cause that's what time my DVR recording started). I left the office at about 11:40 to run some errands, and since I had NPR on my car radio I heard that the ceremony was at 12. I ended up sitting in my car in a parking lot so I could hear Biden being sworn in as VP. Then they started playing music, so I ran into our downtown office real quick, and luckily they had the radio on too. Now, it just so happens that all but 1 of the people who work in that office voted for McCain. HA! So I got to rub it in a little and do a little victory dance when I walked in. We all listened to Obama get sworn in together, then listened to part of his speech. I was the only one smiling. A couple of conversations:

V: We'll see how you feel about him 4 years from now.
me: Not as happy as I feel today about Bush leaving office!

V: He pauses too much when he talks. I don't like that. Why does he have to pause so much?
S: He's preaching. Although Bush paused a lot too, didn't he?
C: Yeah, but Bush paused because he forgot what he was saying!
me: (cracking up) At least I didn't have to say that!

Then one of them started talking about how she's been nervous for days about something bad happening today. Another one started talking about how if something happened to Obama it would start a race war, and if that's what some black power group wanted (a race war) they would just arrange for someone to shoot Obama so that they could have their race war. Because clearly the best thing for a group wanting blacks to be more equal and have more power to do is to have the first President of African descent be assassinated on the day he takes office. I mean, come on. That sounds like something my dad would say. Just goofy.

Anyway, I'm busy watching the coverage that I DVRed now. So exciting!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You do realize he isn't black. His reported ethnic background is 50% White, 43.75% Arabic, 6.25% African. His Kenyan descendents were supposedly Arabic. It’s a shame that they chose the “first black president” theme and not how in America, the melting pot of the world, any person regardless of which ethnicities make up their DNA, can achieve anything.

Anonymous said...

Too heavy for me, I prefered the squirrel story.

T & A said...

Pretty sure I didn't refer to him as black. Having a father from Kenya does mean he is partially of African descent. Besides, that just sounds like the kind of crap people were trying to spread before the election to scare idiots into not voting for him because he has a scary middle name. I happen to agree that it's too bad they focus only on the "black" and not on "multi-racial" or "son of an immigrant" or anything else. And it doesn't matter, it's still exciting.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that squirrel story cute? And that photo was so precious........