Tuesday, July 15, 2008

goats and sheep and cows, oh my!

Ha, I'm so original.

We finished our homemade goat cheese this morning. It took an awfully long time for not a whole lot of cheese. It wasn't much work at least, it just had to sit in a pot and then hang in some cheese cloth. It made a big mess, which of course was all my fault because I folded the cheese cloth too many times. But hey, it tasted good. We'll have to come up with some cool recipe to use it in.

Alfred's also been working on arranging to pick up our lamb meat. I never did put the pictures I took in this post, so I'll just put them up today. Two posts for the price of one! Or something.

So when we first got to the sheep area, they were all chilling in the shade and ignoring us. Then once they heard the feed bag rustling they all came charging over the hill. It was kind of crazy, like something out of a movie.

Then Alfred got to feed them. Talk about crazy! There were a lot of damn sheep, and they wanted their food 5 minutes ago. He almost got knocked over a couple of times. They'll get their comeuppance when we're eating one of them next week!


The trough in the back was supposed to be for the babies, because it was lower to the ground, but a bunch of older ones followed them. They were nuts. There was actually a sheep in the trough at the front of this picture, but you can't see it because of all the other ones knocking her down to get to the food.

We also had some pictures of the male sheep (rams, I guess) but I must not have copied any onto this computer. Too bad, because you can see their balls in the picture, and they are freaking huge.

We also got to see the cattle, one of these will be in our freezer in another month or so. Unfortunately my camera battery died right after I took this picture, so it's the only one I have of the cows.

And that's that. Come to Florida, we'll feed you and then show you a picture of what you're eating!

No comments: