Monday, July 14, 2008

The Return of the Hippies

That's right, get us back home and we're all hippie, all the time! This morning we had yogurt and granola for breakfast, as we often do, but the yogurt we had today was homemade from fresh goat's milk (that we purchased, no we do not have a goat). It was a little runnier than store bought yogurt, but it tasted better. We stirred in some of the blueberry jam and granola we made on Saturday and man, was it tasty! And purple! We also had some roasted red pepper and crab soup for dinner last night, and on Saturday we had these venison burgers:

They were so good. Complete with homemade rolls, I might add. I found a new, super delicious recipe. I love being able to cook again!

Yesterday Alfred went all sorts of crazy and did a bunch of yard work, including cutting down a palm tree. We have approximately 47,000 trees in our yard, and a good portion of them are palms, which drop their fronds and make a mess and block all the sunlight so we can't grow anything. Alfred's planning to cut down several of them so we can try putting down sod and can actually have a yard. Just in time to move! Figures. Anyway he went all crazy with the chain saw while I was working on dinner, I ran outside with the camera (and my cell phone in case I needed to dial 911) just in time to catch this action shot (to the left). Not the way Alfred had intended it to fall, of course. The picture to the right is what it looked like from the dock. He cut it up into a few pieces and managed to haul most of it back up, he just left the top for when I could help him. I managed to take a shower right before he started working, so I was exempt from helping. I didn't even plan it that way, I swear!

It's always amazing how different and nice the yard looks after it's mowed. Here's the before:

If you can see it, there's a weed (helpfully identified by my red arrow) that was about 6 feet tall. And the after:

Much better! He did the front yard too, but I forgot to take an after picture, so you'll just have to imagine how nice it looks. Maybe I'll post a picture after I weed between the bricks in the walkway. Then it will look even nicer.

Alfred also talked to our neighbor for awhile (the one with the immaculate lawn, as you can see above). His son was supposed to get married in his backyard on Alfred's birthday, but - surprise! - she's pregnant. They wanted to have kids right away after the wedding, so she went off her birth control a little early, thinking it would take awhile. Ha! And get this - she doesn't have insurance. Um, duh. Might be a good idea to get some health insurance before actively trying to get pregnant. But hey, what do I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a difference, the yard looks great! It makes me want to go done there again and help you weed!!!