Monday, March 17, 2008

busy weekend, part 2


I managed to duck just as Alfred took this picture, because I looked like ass and was not about to have it recorded for all eternity. This is where I spent all day yesterday. This was the mess by 2, and we weren't finished until about 10. It was a disaster area. But I made a lot of stuff. Almost 70 peanut butter filled chocolate eggs, key lime bars for dessert tonight (although I forgot about the green whipped cream I was going to put on top, oops), soda bread for tonight, pizza dough for dinner last night, some frosting, oh, and cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. You know, it doesn't sound like as much as it was.

I baked 10 dozen cookies last night. Robyn is giving out approximately 20 Easter baskets to friends and work associates, so I am making cookies and candy to give out in those baskets. Which means that Katie gets to decorate 10 dozen cookies, and Alfred gets to deal with the insanity. Once we got going last night though it did go quickly, we got all of them baked in exactly an hour. We had quite the assembly line: I'd roll and cut out cookies and put them in the oven, when they came out either I or Alfred would put them on the cooling rack, then Alfred would transfer the slightly cooled cookies into a container to make room for the new ones coming out of the oven. Each batch was only in the oven for 6 minutes, so we were working fast.

Meanwhile, Katie was decorating, practicing the designs she's going to do on each type of cookie. She's going to work on them some today, them I'll help her tomorrow (hopefully we'll get home kind of early), and finish them up Wednesday. I also have to make chocolate covered caramel eggs. I made a new batch of caramel yesterday because my first batch was overcooked and hard as a rock. Let's hope this batch works.

I sustained a kitchen injury yesterday too, I cut my finger with the food processor blade. While I was washing it, not while it was running. It's on my middle finger, which is handy.

And, last but not least, look what we got! I've had the music stuck in my head all day.

No comments: