Saturday, March 8, 2008

I'm a baking fool

We stopped at Costco on our way home from work yesterday and bought a 25 lb bag of flour. Since then I've done my best to put a dent in it. So far, I've made:


Rice pudding. I used leftover white rice from Alfred's mom's Chinese New Year party. I actually made 2 batches, one with raisins and one without. With is much better.

Irish soda bread. We ate it warm with some butter for breakfast. Pretty good.

Blueberry cream cheese muffins. We had these for breakfast too. Good, but I couldn't really taste the cream cheese in them. Maybe add more next time.


More soda bread. We haven't tried this yet, but I like the look of it better. It's a more traditional recipe than the other loaf.

And my crowning achievement: cake crumb cookies. We had about 1/3 of the cake left from dinner the other night, so I wanted to make something creative with it. It was chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. I found this recipe and adapted it a bit. I put the cake in the food processor to chop it all up. I ended up with about 2 cups of cake crumb/frosting mixture. I added about 1/2 c flour, 1/4 c sugar, 2 egg yolks, 3 tbsp water, and 1/4 tsp baking powder, and let my standing mixer go to town. Then I stirred in some chocolate chips and baked the cookies at 350 for 12 minutes. Voila! They're actually really good. They taste like chocolate chip cream cheese cookies. I'm giving a bunch of them away so we don't eat ourselves into a cookie coma tonight.

I think I'm done baking for the day. I'm going out to dinner with some friends from my old job, Lindsay and Allison, tonight. I also need to stop and buy a couple of loaf pans for tomorrow's endeavors. Our fridge is going to be so full!





No comments: