Thursday, March 13, 2008

I HATE accounting

Ever since our accountant switched back to her old office, I've been the lucky one given the task of bookkeeping/accounting. At first this consisted of writing checks every week, balancing the checkbooks, and checking the bank statements (for maybe 12 companies). No problem. Then I learned I got to do sales tax every month for 2 of the companies. Ok, I can handle that. Then I'm told we're ordering accounting software and I'm responsible for entering all of the transactions and reconciling all the bank accounts every month. This is where it got ugly. Partly because the previous accountant had a habit of making small entry errors - putting in a 2 instead of a 4, for example - and while it was easy enough for me to correct in a checkbook where I could just write in the correct number, trying to fix it in a program that I don't understand is a HUGE pain. I messed up one company and ended up having to re-enter 2 months worth of stuff because of a small error like that. (The other company I totally messed up was completely my fault, unfortunately). Then I just found out today that a problem I was having with December's statement for one company was because she had never reconciled November. If she had done her job before she left, it wouldn't have become a problem for me. Then she acts like I'm an idiot because I'm trying to fix December when the problem is in November. Like I know that!

Even more annoying was when she was trying to teach me the program in the first place. Now, I have absolutely no accounting experience. So she tells me to enter a transaction, I ask her a question about what to enter first, and she tells me to just do whichever I prefer. I had to keep myself from bitch slapping her as I said "I don't understand how to enter it at all, I need you to tell me what to do here." Sometimes she just assumes that I know what I'm doing, and I really don't. I'm sure it's frustrating for her to work with an idiot like me when she's obviously proficient with this software, but it's pretty frustrating for me too. Especially since some of this is completely counter-intuitive. Accountants must be messed up in the head for this to make sense to them.

My favorite, though, is when she treats me like an idiot with something simple, assuming that since I don't know accounting I don't know anything. A month ago I had to save some files on a disk for her. She explained to me in great detail over the phone exactly how to delete the existing files from the disk so that I could save the new ones without getting confused. This coming from a woman who can't figure out how to double click to open a file. I swear, she makes no sense. One minute she assumes I can read her mind, the next I'm a complete moron.

At least she's not in our office anymore. She can talk like no one's business. Alfred and I used to dread going into her office because we knew we'd be stuck listening to her for half an hour. Mostly about her kids and how great they are. I wonder if my mom talks about me that much. I hope not, cause it's annoying. And her kids range from 18-25 years old.

Hmm, I guess she annoys me a little. :) Ranting over! Back to my wonderful accounting program...

No comments: