Thursday, March 27, 2008

a lesson for the day

There once was a man who started his own business. He was an ambitious man, and times were good for his particular business. He was very successful, made lots of money, and attracted a national company who ended up buying his company for lots of money. He personally made about $15 million on the sale. He was only in his mid thirties, I believe. Now this man was still ambitious, and times were still looking good for his industry, so he started a new business. Since he had plenty of money, he was very aggressive in pursuing deals and making purchases to further his business. Unfortunately, the good times ended. Sales dried up, and his large workforce and inventory kept his overhead very high. Sadly, this man has now had to lay off the majority of his employees, is on the brink of closing his business and declaring bankruptcy, and may end up in jail for certain business practices employed recently as he struggled to stay afloat. How much does that suck? If he had only taken the money and run a couple of years ago, he could be sitting on a beach sipping margaritas right about now. Moral: quit while you're ahead!
(and no, this is not anyone I'm related to, or even know very well; I've met him once and just happen to know the story)

When I make my millions, I am totally retiring and living a life of complete laziness. You know how you're supposed to imagine what you would do with your life if you won the lottery, and that's what career you're supposed to go into? I'd do nothing. I have no ambition. Sit on my ass, watch tv, read, drink. I wonder what kind of job I can get like that.

No comments: