Monday, June 16, 2008

happy (belated) birthday Robyn!

Yesterday was Robyn's birthday. (I have no picture of her to post, since I don't go home anymore. And she hates being in pictures, so even if I had thought of it yesterday I probably wouldn't have had much luck taking one of her then. My b.) Because of her birthday and father's day, we spent the whole day at their house. Alfred got suckered into helping plant (all Robyn wanted for her birthday was plants, so she got a bunch of them) while I was lucky enough to get to hang out inside and cook. Check out this spread!


That's a chocolate birthday cake, a blueberry father's day pie, chicken salad, mashed sweet potatoes, popovers, cole slaw (which I loved, but no one else did), and ribs. I made it all, except the ribs, that's Alfred's domain. Well, and he helped me with stuff once he came back in. But I made most of it! :) The chicken salad and cole slaw even contain homemade mayonnaise. I also made some blueberry cornbread for breakfast, but didn't get a picture of it. It was really yummy though. It worked out well for me: I got to have my fun making things, and not have to be outside working in the heat and humidity!

A close up of the cake, since it's kind of hard to see in the other picture:


As you can see, my decoration skills leave much to be desired. The top came out ok, but the sides, not so much. I was trying to kind of drip it down the side, but gravity wasn't really cooperating. It still tasted really good.

Ok, a close up of the pie, too. I think I actually liked this better than the cake! Shocking, I know. I had a lot of trouble with the crust, but it came out ok. Not great, but ok. But the filling was so damn good it didn't matter.


Come to Florida, I'll bake for you.

Coming up tomorrow: the origin of all the blueberries!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy will she bake & bake & cook & cook & cook....be prepared to walk 5 miles a day just to burn off, in Tracy's words "All that deliciousness"! And to think that she could barely cook a hot dog in high school!! Sorry, Tracy.... Just shows you what necessity & the will can acomplish.

Anonymous said...

your decorating skills are improving... good work!

T & A said...

Hey, I wasn't completely useless in the kitchen. I used to start dinner sometimes before you got home from work. Not exactly gourmet, but I could make a hot dog! And definitely before high school.

Katie - thanks, but don't worry, you won't lose your job anytime soon! :)

Anonymous said...

That's right, you could cook more than a hot dog. Musta been thinking of dad!