Wednesday, June 25, 2008

stepping it up

My job search, that is. 2 of the guys who worked with us are leaving after next week. One of them is the son of Max's business partner, so it's not like Alfred and I are special because we're related. It's just getting to the point where they can't afford things. Today I actually volunteered to take a pay cut to help out a bit. In other words, I really feel the need to find a new job.

It's a wee bit stressful. Most jobs I find posted I'm either a) not qualified for because the industry is so specific, or b) wildly overqualified for. Plus, so many of the jobs that are in the area I'd like to be in and actually went to school for (preschool or other early education) pay really, really shitty. They're all in the $8-$10/hour range. I'm sorry, I can't do that. It's too bad they don't tell you in college that you shouldn't pick your major based on what interests you, but in what is most marketable in the future. Katie, you should switch to business or something.

I've applied to several positions I've found on craig's list, career builder, and on specific company websites, but haven't heard back from anyone yet. I also need to set up a school district interview since I missed the recruitment fair, and mail out stuff to some principals to try to get their attention. What a pain in the ass. On the upside, at least now I don't feel quite so guilty having nothing to do, since I'm not getting paid anymore!

No comments: