Friday, June 6, 2008

roaches and teaching and house sitting, oh my!

First off, I would like to thank Katie for her oh so traumatic contribution to roach stories (she left a comment after my last post, if you're interested.) I didn't say that was my worst roach story, he was just a rather scholarly roach. If you want to hear a bad roach story... a couple of years ago I was getting ready for work one morning and went to put my boot on. A roach came running out of my boot and skittered across my arm. That's right, it ran on me. Out of my shoe. Which was in my closet. ONTO ME. I was afraid to put on shoes for weeks. Beat that. :)

I just got back from lunch, I met a girl from my book club. (I posted this picture because a) certain people get upset if there's no picture in a post, and b) I passed the restaurant this picture was taken at on my way to lunch. Well, and c) it's funny.) She's a teacher and has worked in a couple of counties around here, so she gave me a bunch of advice about interviewing and what key words to say, and some tips about job searching. It was very helpful to hear from someone who knows what she's talking about and has so much experience. She had emailed a principal who was hiring a kindergarten teacher about me, but unfortunately she already filled the position with another teacher at the school. But, she did say that some other positions would probably open up in 1st and 2nd grade, so that could be good. I'm really kind of starting to freak out about finding a job. There are budget cuts this year, so a lot of districts are increasing class sizes and not hiring as many teachers. Plus, I have no real classroom experience, and only have a temporary teaching certificate. I'm really hoping I get something at the recruitment fair I'm going to next week, but honestly, I'm not feeling too hopeful.

If teaching doesn't work out though, maybe I can start a house sitting service. We're double booked this weekend, with Ilya and Mercedes' house and the big house we were at last weekend. So we're sleeping at one house and going to check on the cats at the other. The only bad thing is we can't go home until Sunday. When will I bake??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now it's not a roach story but I have one that could almost beat yours... It involves a big hairy ugly spider and me, preparing to get into my wonderful bed and watch tv before falling asleep...pulling back the covers (my bed was practically made) and out comes crawling this big gross intruder OUT FROM UNDER THE BED I SLEEP IN EVERY NIGHT ..its safe to say I crashed on your couch the rest of the weekend

T & A said...

Yeah, that is pretty bad. Just to clarify, was the spider under your covers or under your bed?

Anonymous said...

THE COVERS!!! just imagine if it had decided to show itself just 30 senconds later... scary

Anonymous said...

i love everything about that picture

Unknown said...

I love everything about the picture too, except the unnatural color of my skin. Ugh, Florida sun! I HATE roaches, and I have so many similar stories. Mostly I put on my rainboots to avoid creepy crawlies on my feet, and I also arm myself with a flip-flop. Thank god the current apt doesn't have them... yuck! Tip: if you spray at them with 409 it slows them down.

In other news, I am highly confident in your ability to obtain a teaching job. They'd be lucky to have you!

(ps--I figured out how not to be anonymous! yay!)